.

About Mossyards

Mossyards was a 36 acre croft with fields and forest, the house was a "butt and ben" cottage built in around 1825. We bought the property with its current acre of land and traditional outbuildings in 1975 and renovated the large steading in 1997 to create two self-contained cottages.

The story behind the names - Winnow Cottage used to have off set doors through which the wind blew to winnow the grain and Gable Cottage had a fine old sandstone gable end. Since we have lived here we have planted over 100 trees and created a flower garden, orchard and fruit/vegetable patch. Mossyards has been our family home for 35 years and is much loved by our children and grandchildren.

We are both retired teachers who love the outdoor country life. Since retiring we have spent more time improving the garden, enjoying the beauty of the local area, playing golf and walking our dog.